Welcome to the SOM online Press Kit
Here you will find all you need to know about the band; their experience, technical specs, touring experience, testemonials and reviews. Feel free at any time to print any of the info for your records!
Dave Carroll (click here to read bio on davecarrollmusic.com)
Sons of Maxwell
With an impressive discography and performance resume, including several industry awards and nominations, it can definitely be said that Halifax-based Sons of Maxwell have come a long way from Northern Ontario. The brothers began singing together while attending university and began a full-time music career soon after graduation. Don and Dave Carroll have done prolific work in a relatively short time and have developed a large, dedicated fan base. S.O.M has released several well-received all-original albums, music videos and have toured extensively, both nationally and abroad.
The strength of the duo is built upon its diversity. Don and Dave are true entertainers. That fact is what sets them apart and has made them so popular with such a broad spectrum of people. More than once it has been said: “these guys do it all.” Their musical performance is always evocative and their onstage sibling interplay is disarmingly warm, alluring and often downright hilarious! Dave writes songs that bring laughter and tears to the audience. The brothers (along with a talented back-up band) deliver Dave’s powerful and thought-provoking lyrics in an interesting blend of musical styles best described as pop/folk. Ever present are their unique, brilliant vocal styles and harmonies for which they are well known.
From concert halls to corporate shows, Sons of Maxwell are continually a hit with audiences of all ages. S.O.M have played venues across Canada, including music halls and listening rooms, with extensive shows in Atlantic and Western Canada, and of late, have been making more appearances in the US (Maine, Nebraska and most recently, at the Milwaukee Irish Festival in August 2009). They have toured China, given exclusive performances on Carnival Cruise, performed in the Dominican Republic, and completed three tours in Germany. The outstanding audience response and rave reviews (available on request) speak for themselves. The perpetual tour continues...
Wow! Sunday Morning is a terrific record ... great energy, impeccable musicianship, intelligent and tightly crafted lyrics ... this band's headed for The Bigtime!
Tom Wilson, The Rosebud Radio Hour, Saturday afternoons at 5:00 on Calgary's AM 1060 CKMX
Ottawa Life: With a committed following and boundless energy, Sons of Maxwell will continue to achieve star status.
CMT´s Year Top 100, #83: A duo of brothers from the Maritimes is proving to be the pair to watch on the horizon of success in Canada.
Raymond Arsenault, The Journal-Pioneer
Reverb, Best Atlantic Canadian Albums of All Time, #5 of top 20 albums - The Neighbourhood: When you add The Neighbourhood to the other albums the Ds have to their credit, it's clear there's just no stopping the steady success of the brothers Carroll.
As for their original music, brother Dave looks after the writing end of the business and his pen is one of the most creative in the country. Their last disc, The Neighbourhood, is tangible proof Dave can turn a mean phrase when inspired.
Peter Heckbert, Truro Daily News
Dave Carroll, who penned eight of the 10 songs, proves he´s no slouch in the writing department. It´s got everything that I look for in an album great lyrics, wonderfully pleasant voices, excellent harmonies, up-tempo beats, top-notch hooks and incredible instrumentation. And it leaves me wanting to hear a whole lot more.
Raymond Arsenault, The Journal-Pioneer
The Dave Carroll-penned Oceanside Again and The Lighthouse garnered positive radio programmer response, especially at key Ontario and Western Canadian Country and AC stations. Although not your typical commercial top 40 sounding act, Sons of Maxwell have already impressed dozens of music directors with their solid harmony and exceptional songs.
Paul Kennedy, Radio Tracker
- 2006 East Coast Music Awards (ECMA) winner (Sunday Morning) for Country Recording of the Year
- 2 ECMA Nominations in 2006 (Sunday Morning) –Country Recording & Group Recording of the year
- 3 Nova Scotia Music Awards Nominations in 2005 (Sunday Morning) - Country Recording, Group Recording and Pop/Rock album of the year.
- Based on the success of three Western Canada showcase performances, Sons of Maxwell played nearly 50 soft-seat concerts in British Columbia, Alberta and Saskatchewan in 2003/early 2004
- Completed a 17-city tour of Germany in November 2003. This was the band’s third tour of Bavaria
- One of a select few bands to be invited to perform in China in September 2005 following the 2004 ECMA showcase.
- 2002 ECMA winner for Roots Traditional category
- 2000 Nova Scotia Group of the Year
- Invited to Perform on Parliament Hill’s July 1st /Canada Day Celebrations
- Three Sons of Maxwell videos have received regular rotation on CMT. The single Oceanside Again was one of the only independent videos of the year to be voted as a fan favourite in the yearly Top 100.
- The song "Hold On" was recognized by the Canadian Alzheimer’s Society for its strong message
- Several artists have covered S.O.M. originals, both in live shows and on recordings
- In Dave’s first co-writing experience in July 2003, which happened to be in Nashville, the song which resulted was short-listed by the Country band Diamond Rio
Reviews and Articles
The Halifax Herald - Wednesday, August 4, 2004
Carroll brothers back to indie roots with release of Sunday Morning
December 2001 - Journal Pioneer, Summerside, PE
Sons of Maxwell deliver Instant Christmas
August 11, 2001 - The Halifax Herald
New CD living proof of Sons' maturity
June 4, 2001 - CanEHdian.com
Among The Living Release Party
June 3, 2001 - The Halifax Herald
June 2, 2001 - The Halifax Herald
Living it up
to read more articles, click here
Special Note: Please convert imagery from RGB to CMYK for proper color.
Booking Info, Management, Publicity and Technical
Phone: (902) 860-0080
Fax: (902) 860-8503
Listed below are links to .pdf files with some of our Specs.